2.03.2012

Mechanix

Wanna see how art school teaches you how the creative process is just as mechanical and repetitive as every other job?  No?

Oh...well.

I'm not really an art student.  I'm actually majoring in bullshit with a minor in self-loathing.

As you can see - I pencil things digitally because I draw with all the finesse of a bag of hammers being dropped down a flight of stairs.  It's just faster and easier for me to see what I'm actually doing.  This is generally what my things look like freshly scanned after they've been inked, the motorcycle image to the right of that however, is where I've messed with the levels and threshold.  Much cleaner, and ready for digital editing!

This is the first time I've ever applied a digital screentone before, I've used the original zip-a-tone sheets before to drop textures by hand, but this was just so much less time consuming.  I ended up using a grey-tone wash sheet scan to make my tones look just a bit more organic than the all inclusive flat digital fade.  The wash also seems to print better at a larger format than the digital texture.  Asymmetry for the masses!

Then, finally - I had to do my titles by hand, which is a pain.  I look at how the old masters incorporated titles and text into their splash pages and I cringe at how bad I am at it.  But either way, I puked these out in a hurry and scanned these babies in, dropped them where I wanted them.

And the final product of all of this?

Swanky.

I need to edit them some more, do some hand lettering with their names below their boxes like in the pencils - maybe moving the title for the Heavenly host to that giant white floating space.

But that's how it always goes, nothing ever seems finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment